Saturday 4 April 2015

The Road to Salisbury

It's half past five in the evening, I'm in a warm and comfortable hostel, and I'm about ready to eat something and turn in for the night. It's been a good day, and boy am I tired!

I learned to tighten my brake levers this morning, when I noticed one of them was getting loose and wobbly. It necessitated unhitching the brake cable and resetting it afterwards, so as a bonus I also learned how to adjust my brake cables. And all before breakfast!

I got on the road about ten and made it to Stonehenge about half past twelve. It was cold and windy on Salisbury Plain and I was glad I'd packed my warmest woolly pully. I went to see the stones of course, and looked around the visitors' centre, including the 360 degree surround cinematic of the stones through the ages and in different weather conditions. It was pretty excellent!

From there it was only another hour to Salisbury. I can definitely do a longer journey than this in a day, and so can Florence; her battery is still at 50% charge. I could have conceivably done Melksham to Salisbury in the morning, stopped for lunch, and then gone ahead and done Salisbury to Yeovil in the afternoon.

Today's lesson is, I am better at this than I realised! I guess I can increase the amount of distance I cover each day when I cycle up to York. I can probably do it in three days instead of four! Yeah, I'm gonna get into googlemaps and figure that out.

Riiiight after dinner. *tummygrowl*

No comments:

Post a Comment